livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Does It Really Cost More to Eat Healthy Food?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Liz" <liz@allslash.org>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Does It Really Cost More to Eat Healthy Food?
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 09:51:05 -0400

I won't get into the details of the articles or its various charts and studies, but for many people, eating "healthy" is as much a matter of access to healthy food as it is money to buy it. If you have to take all day on public transportation (and are limited as to what you can carry on with you, as many city bus systems are), then the cost of getting TO the food can become a substantial percentage of the cost OF the food.

Until recently, for example, my daughter would have had to drive close to fifty miles to get to anything resembling a health food store. There was a farmers' market closer than that, but it was open only during the summer and didn't have much in the way of organic food. Now there is actually a farm market right in her urban neighborhood, great for her, but not easily accessible to people living in similar neighborhoods on the other side of the city.

I've been sending her coolers of produce from my farm. It's crazy, but it's cheaper for me to send her an insulated box of tomatoes, peppers and squash than it is for her to drive to the nearest organic source of them.

Liz

Does It Really Cost More to Eat Healthy Food?
http://www.foodpolitics.com/2011/08/does-it-really-cost-more-to-buy-healthy-food/