livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Animals, Agriculture, Fertility & What we eat

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Animals, Agriculture, Fertility & What we eat
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:03:34 -0400

On 06/20/2011 04:09 PM, Arzeena Hamir wrote:
Chris Bodnar of Glen Valley farm has written a great essay on the need to use animal-based fertility in organic production. He raises some great questions that are currently being swept under the table. Hope this results in deeper conversation.

See also Gene Logsdon's most recent book HOLY SHIT, in which he argues that there is no adequate substitute for livestock manures if we want to practice a sustainable agriculture.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE SMALL-SCALE POULTRY FLOCK: An All-Natural Approach to Raising
Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers, will be published this
year by Chelsea Green Publishing
(www.chelseagreen.com/bookstore/item/the_smallscale_poultry_flock).