livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Global Village Construction Set

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: dan conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Global Village Construction Set
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:33:55 -0500

Thanks for posting this, Paul. I was going to send it to you, but there are a million directions to go with discussion of it. I'll hit my criticisms first:
1. Too much technology, too big: it assumes a factory style of production to save labors in a world of excess labor. They seem to try and replace centralized civilization with distributed civilization, when the civilization it is trying to preserve is simply out of hand as far as the planet is concerned. Much of the effort is being done to justify the machines, rather than simply to preserve a sustainable living arrangement with the planet.
2. It's going to go viral as a fad culture, but our world has worked very hard to eliminate hard work, while this idea of smaller living requires hard work. Nice to watch, but 'normal' people won't believe they need to do the work if they can just 'donate' some money or start a 'non' profit to 'help'.
3. Safety issues. A LOT of people are going to be getting hurt by their crude application of brute force without experience.
4. There is a video of the 'broken complex tractor' problem that is used to justify this 'new' system. Most tractor failures can be attributed operator errors, and don't justify building a tractor 'go-kart'.
5. They need to learn some things from the Amish about when to use APPROPRIATE technology.

My kudos:
1. Simplifying equipment, common tools, open sourcing the information.
2. Inviting anyone who can help to do so. I have sent them a couple of suggestions so far.
3. Hopefully they will transition from the internet to a direct person-to-person expansion of their 'terrorist cells' (isn't something that is anti-globalization actually terrorism these days?), if they want to be able to keep doing it.
4. Anytime I hear someone realize that they just graduated from college and they feel useless, I see hope for intelligent life being found on this planet.

Dan C.
Belgium, WI

P.S. I've got all of their tools and probably more, so if someone wants to 'open source' on my farm, just show up and talk to me about it.