livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fire cycles and deforestation Re: Bio-Char testgarden

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fire cycles and deforestation Re: Bio-Char testgarden
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 21:04:48 -0800 (PST)

Some notes on chaparral. I don't think it will convert to anything in our lifetimes or the lifespan of the human race for that matter (sandstone in these places probably erodes much faster than an organic profile gets built - which is why some of the clay silicate alluvials still have depths of a couple inches). I also don't think fire necessarily 'helps' it. It just tolerates it, and uses it to its advantage.

It does help spread arctostaphylos and some bacharrus, just like it helps spread sequoia giganticus in the maritime belt which is both above and below it. But these plants stay around a long time anyway. Chaparral seems to 'expect' in my personal opinion occasional superficial fires, and just as redwood forests seem to expect infrequent intense fires. Most fires doesn't seem to impact the soil for more than a year, even when the ash is still there. After that fungi come up like crazy due to the chemical and physiological disturbances, and well as a few other succession starters. We see it all the time in chaparral and subalpine zones depending on what it was like to begin with....

Here's a link to add to the mix:
http://www.californiachaparral.org/chaparralmyths.html