livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Mid-East unrest could increase globalphosphorus threat

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Mid-East unrest could increase globalphosphorus threat
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 19:15:34 -0000

Manure contains phosphorus only in so far as the feedstuff that led to this manure contained phosphorus. If your soil is phosphorus poor there is only one way to grow healthy vegetables and that is by getting phosphorus somehow.
I would not go for commercial P fertilizer because this is specialy made to dissolve fast (yes with sulfuric acid) and run away fast so that you need to buy more year after year.
john
Doesn't manure contain phosphorus? I am really curious about how necessary it is for us to mine phosphate rock. It is extremely destructive to the environment, so I am hoping there is a better solution.