livingontheland - [Livingontheland] A Visit to My Kitchen: Dr. Andrew Weil, by Maria Rodale

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] A Visit to My Kitchen: Dr. Andrew Weil, by Maria Rodale
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 09:41:18 -0700

A Visit to My Kitchen: Dr. Andrew Weil
by Maria Rodale, January 13, 2011
http://www.mariasfarmcountrykitchen.com/a-visit-to-my-kitchen-dr-andrew-weil/

Dr. Weil is in my kitchen today, talking about all reasons why he’s organic,
his simple-yet-can’t-live-without kitchen staple, and the current news issue
on his mind.

Andrew Weil, MD, is a world-renowned leader and pioneer in the field of
integrative medicine, a healing-oriented approach to health care that
encompasses body, mind, and spirit. He’s the editorial director of
DrWeil.com, a leading Web resource for healthy living. He authors the popular
Self Healing special publications, and is the director of integrative health
and healing at Miraval Life in Balance Resort in Tucson. As a columnist for
Prevention magazine and a frequent guest on Larry King Live, Oprah, and the
Today Show, Dr. Weil provides valuable information and insight into how to
incorporate conventional and complementary medicine practices in one’s life
to optimize the body’s natural healing power.

Why is living organic important to you?

This topic is probably worth a book, but I’ll give you the four main reasons
why I think organic food and organic gardening and farming are best for human
and planetary health.

No pesticides: We know that conventionally grown foods consistently contain
residues of pesticides that may be harmful. Some 865 pesticide active
ingredients are now registered with the Environmental Protection Agency
(EPA), and thousands of products containing them singly or in combination are
used in conventional farming to kill insects and other agricultural pests.
Many of these chemicals have been implicated in human and animal cancers,
nervous system disorders, and other serious diseases.

More antioxidants: Organically grown fruits and vegetables appear to have
higher antioxidant levels than conventionally grown foods. Data released in
2005 by the Organic Consumers Association showed that, on average, the
organic crops studied contained about one-third higher antioxidant content
than comparable conventional produce. It also noted that levels of specific
vitamins, flavonoids, and other health-protective compounds in organic foods
were two or three times those found in matched samples of conventional foods.

Better for the earth: Raising crops organically produces the same yields as
does conventional farming, but uses 30 percent less energy, less water, and
no toxic chemicals. Organic farming also conserves more water in the soil,
causes less erosion, maintains soil quality, and conserves more biological
resources than conventional farming.

Efficient: Contrary to arguments that only conventional farming methods can
meet the world’s need for food, a series of studies has shown that organic
farming is just as productive, if not more so. These investigations suggest
that organic methods produce as much wheat and alfalfa as and 90 percent of
the amount of corn, soybeans, and winter wheat yielded by conventional
methods, and organic farming methods build up soil instead of depleting it.

To which I would add, in my experience, organic food simply tastes better!
Making a commitment to buy, or better yet, grow your own organic food is one
of the best resolutions you can make in pursuing a healthy lifestyle.

What was your favorite food growing up?

I never liked traditional American breakfasts. Even growing up as a kid I
wanted things other than eggs and waffles, but being raised in Philly in the
’50s I followed a typical dietary course, and I remember being particularly
fond of hoagies in my youth.

What’s your go-to comfort food now?

Dark chocolate, definitely. Also very good, organic thin-crust pizza.

What’s the one thing in your kitchen you just couldn’t live without?

Extra virgin olive oil. It’s my main dietary fat and an indispensable part of
my cooking.

What magazine, website, book, album, or product are you most obsessed with
right now?

I’m not really wired with the kind of intense focus required for acute
obsession, but I have always had a strong interest in the storytelling and
cultural aspects of movies. Lately, I’ve been spending a little free time
each day on the Internet Movie Database (imbd.com). I also frequent
Amazon.com for most of my purchases—everything from books to clothing to
specialty foods. (I have no financial interest or connection with either
site.)

What’s the most important news story today that you think we all need to pay
more attention to?

Medical marijuana just passed in Arizona, and I think people nationwide
should pay attention to Will Humble’s decisions about doing things right and
not repeating the mistakes made in other states.

Where do you get your news?

Good question, as I practice (and recommend) long periods of “news breaks” as
part of a healthy lifestyle. I’m still connected, though. In addition to a
network of close friends and professional colleagues who send a friendly
heads up about relevant topics, I also tune in to NPR and use Google News.

  • [Livingontheland] A Visit to My Kitchen: Dr. Andrew Weil, by Maria Rodale, Tradingpost, 02/01/2011