livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The Organic Elite Surrenders to Monsanto...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The Organic Elite Surrenders to Monsanto...
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 06:44:08 -0800 (PST)

It always sort of was... I think it sure proves Berry's thesis regarding the 'big economies' inherently corrupting influence. Doesn't matter if its a church or a chain store. A distributor is a distributor, they may sell 'organic' because its profitable and creates a niche for them, but so does safeway it doesn't really mean any more than that and never has.

I think it will be interesting to watch the legal challenges here. Its clear the supreme court is and was rather clueless about the case, but they did have a semi-legitimate out in hearing the alfalfa case the first time. Personally I'm not sure they're smart enough to understand the issues, in the past they've come up lacking pretty heavily both in the legal and scientific sense - again in my opinion.

There is something technical I'm curious about. It goes like this - you can't sue the government or a department of the government unless it agrees to be sued, one way it does this is by not providing an internal means of adequate redress. Since the USDA had made no decision during the first case - as cited by the court - it had a legitimate form of 'redress' potentially available, now that it made a decision, perhaps a suit against the USDA itself could be brought since the redress isn't likely adequate. It may not happen, but I think in theory it could actually open up the USDA to direct exposure. Or maybe the resolutions suggested by the USDA will be found adequate, or maybe the fact that the court is packed with monsanto lawyers renders the whole concept of legal challenge mute. I don't know, but it should be interesting to watch.