livingontheland - [Livingontheland] back to our regular programming

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] back to our regular programming
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 22:49:37 -0700

I hoped to de-escalate the discussion tactfully, and thanks to those who
helped. I regret one person has been removed from the discussion, only the
second in the long history of Livingontheland. Of course aquaponics is still
a topic on the list as are all the other things related to the list
description.

Note that the article I sent "World Hunger Best Cured by Small-Scale
Agriculture", and my defense of it, is a good match to the list description I
wrote years ago, below:

About Livingontheland
English (USA)
"Intensive, organic soil building is basic to growing much more in less
space with better nutrition, more profitable growing through less bought
inputs, less need for water, fewer losses from pests and disease, and less
vulnerability to fossil fuel problems now or in the future. What ways this
can best be pursued in different soils and climates leaves a lot of room for
discussion. We deal with the widespread problems of loss of soil minerals,
humus, nutritional content of produce, and loss of topsoil itself, as well as
the cost-price squeeze faced by real organic growers, the shrinking supply of
affordable land for growing and irrigation water, and the need to increase
the supply of nutritious food while making healthy food more affordable in
general. Our generation cannot continue to plunder the soil capital of future
generations.
"We include sustainable food growing from home garden to market garden,
fruits, nuts, berries, fungi, and vegetables, in addition to food and work
animals. This extends to management of the homestead, land, and forest as it
relates to sustainable food production, as well as sustainable use of the
land for human habitat.
"Living On The Land is not a commercial forum for profit promotions, nor a
chat forum, and is sensibly moderated to ensure discussions are related to
the topic."

So that's what the list is for.
Subscribing to the list means discussion within that framework - Intensive
Organic, growing more in less space. Arguing against that means rejecting the
purpose of the list, as Steve Solomon once found out.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net

  • [Livingontheland] back to our regular programming, Tradingpost, 01/15/2011