livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Do We Have be Peasants to Be Sustainable?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Do We Have be Peasants to Be Sustainable?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 11:48:53 -0800 (PST)

While I agree with your comments, I think the article is a bit disingenuously absent of framework about WHY Chiapas is in such a state.  From my understanding, they've chosen to "throw the baby out with the bath" due to the situation of seeing loss of land and endangerment of traditional crops, and the health that comes with, whenever they allow modern encroachment.  If the Mexican Gov't would not follow up with troops and property-stripping, the locals would be able to pick and choose, safely, what modernizations would serve them and their communities.  However Mexico has criminalized their traditional means of communal land ownership and all their "Social Programs" for community "betterment" are thought, with plenty of evidence, to be thinly veiled anti-localizm/pro-corporation projects.

Yours, Pego

<<Good article. One sentence jumped out at me, the part about living in homes
built by themselves or previous generations. Many of the people who talk
about sustainability overlook the concept of permanence or re-use.
Regardless of whether people grow some (or even most) of their own food,
ride a bike to work, collect rainwater, and knit their own socks, our
society is fixated on "new." The idea of continuing to use something handed
down from parents or even grandparents is quaint at best (unless it's
something intrinsically valuable like antique furniture, crystal, silver,
etc.). Telling your friend that your cast iron cookware came from your late
mother-in-law gets a blank sort of "Um, that's nice" response. Yet a truly
sustainable society must be able to pass on material things to future
generations, who may not have the luxury of running to the nearest Walmart
for replacements.>>>

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Do We Have be Peasants to Be Sustainable?, Pego Rice, 01/13/2011