livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Haylage for horses?

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Haylage for horses?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 17:57:35 -0000

Almost impossible to put a name on the breed Pete. We had a Conemara stallion here who gave two foals from slightly bigger 14-15 hand draft mares. We don't want anything bigger (any more) for that has proven to be no advantage on steep land.
We bought a new stallion this year,14 hands, 3 year old and something called pie-bald here. I presume what you would call "painted". This sort of horse was traditional for pulling gypsy/traveller caravans in days of old. A heavy boned, well behaved gentleman of a horse even if he had little training. My daughter rode him cold a few times.
What is special about this horse and something worth thinking about is that he has sky blue eyes instead of brown and this is something that Irish people do not like at all for it makes them think that these animals might have a brain or even a soul of their own. This makes it a good bit less likely that your horse disappears  without your approval. An important trait in difficult times?
john
Thanks John, what sort of horses do you have - just curious?