livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Kinder, gentler green garlic mellows out the menu

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Aliza Vanderlip <songbird97520@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Kinder, gentler green garlic mellows out the menu
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2011 23:12:01 -0800 (PST)

My 9yr old picks garlic greens and eats them all spring - he just pulls greens off the plant making sure to take only one or two off of any plant so we get both the greens and the bulbs:o)  My current favorite is plain old easy pealing Susanville as it has a nice robust flavor but none of the bitterness you sometimes get in some garlics plus it stays good all winter in a bag in my very cool service porch without drying or getting moldy.  I like that in a garlic.

I have seen scapes (the little heads that have bulbils on them) in the market but not the immature plants.  I'll have to look more closely for them this year.

Blessings,

Aliza

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” Howard Thurman