livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] growing problems

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] growing problems
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 19:27:50 -0800 (PST)

Most of florida was meant to be a swamp, we (army core of engineers) drained it and forgot thats what it was for over half a million years. We got rid of the pesky malaria ridden mosquitos, built the tamiama trail,  but took out the native fish that live there in the process, so we trucked in soil and made citrus groves and sugar cane plots.

 I'd be thinking what grows in a swamp? How can I make a swamp with cyprus heads for cultivation, since that seems to have been the status quo since the last ice age - 150 years. Or at least how could I simulate what used to work here. Other than that raised beds are what people turn to when they run into similar situations - although I saw a couple interesting ideas in Brazos valley (not the bottoms) where people had built small hills on top of the cement clay to act as sponges that seemed to be working out.