livingontheland - [Livingontheland] rainy end to market season

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] rainy end to market season
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 10:34:49 -0600

Well, we finally got a soaker after a couple months of dry, and I'm stuck in
the house today. Two more times at our one remaining market and it's over for
this year. People think we relax the rest of the year, but nooooo. Always
more to catch up on with the garden and greenhouses. Barb noticed tomatoes
growing up through a couple holes in the 6 mil plastic roof, nine feet high,
so those panels will need recovering. It's also time to rethink scheduling
and varieties of several crops, haul more aged horse manure, and find a
better source of hay mulch. I got six beds of shallots planted just before
the rain but garlic has to wait for the former bean beds to dry out.

We've noticed that there's no predicting what'll sell best on a particular
day, no two days the same. One day it's the butternuts, then it's the giant
marconi peppers or Italian tomatoes, or candy onions and shallots. Never
know. So we generally take more of everything than we can sell. This year a
lot of tomatoes and peppers and romano green beans have gone into a second
freezer.

paul tradingpost@lobo.net
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just reading up on the piece below, but I can't make myself try any other
tomato besides the one Italian heirloom we grow.

The Sublime Flavors of Heirloom Tomatoes
http://www.eatingwell.com/food_news_origins/seasonal_local/the_sublime_flavors_of_heirloom_tomatoes

Amy Goldman loves heirloom tomatoes. Loves them enough that one might be
tempted to dub her obsessed, consumed even—labels she embraces. After all,
what else would you call a woman who over a single season grew more than 500
varieties of heirloom tomatoes on her farm in New York’s Hudson Valley,
tested and tasted every one—sometimes twice—and published her findings in a
mouthwatering book, The Heirloom Tomato: From Garden to Table, extolling
their myriad virtues, complete with recipes, histories and envy-inducing
photographs of “the world’s most beautiful fruit.”

“I never do anything in a small way,” Goldman says, laughing. Especially when
it comes to heirloom tomatoes, of which she has “two hundred favorites.”

A lifelong gardener and late-blooming activist, Goldman was distressed by the
commercial hybrid tomatoes that most of us were raised on: perfectly colored
balls of unyielding flesh stuffed with something approximating wet sand. So
Goldman sought out alternatives. Lots and lots of alternatives.