livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] why we grow food

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] why we grow food
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 4:05:25 -0700

It is really sad but here in Colombia the urban population is beginning to
"fatten." Ten or 15 years ago one almost never saw an overweight person here
in Medellin. Now a lot of women, especially the younger ones are carrying too
much weight. Not the kind of gross obesity we frequently saw in the States
but the change is notable. Men appear to be much less affected. The younger
folks are rejecting the historic diet of meats, beans rice, yuca, potatoes,
cooking bananas and a variety of other vegetables.

The rural areas appear to be less affected and people there tend to still eat
traditionally. They also walk more and do more physical labor.