livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Industrial Agriculture and Human Survival: The Road Beyond 10/10/10

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Industrial Agriculture and Human Survival: The Road Beyond 10/10/10
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 19:40:41 -0600

excerpt

Industrial Agriculture and Human Survival: The Road Beyond 10/10/10
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_21747.cfm
by Ronnie Cummins Published on Thursday, October 7, 2010 by Organic
Consumers Association

Note: Climate and food activists are organizing thousands of “work parties”
in 170 nations on October 10, 2010 (10/10/10). These work parties are
designed to both highlight local projects that can help reverse global
warming, and to force politicians to take decisive action - before it’s too
late. http://www.350.org

Despite decades of deception and mystification, a critical mass at the
grassroots is waking up. A new generation of food and climate activists
understands that greenhouse gas-belching fossil fuels, industrial food and
farming, and our entire global economy pose a mortal threat, not just to our
present health and well being, but also to human survival. Given the severity
of the Crisis, we have little choice but to step up our efforts. As 35,000
climate activists at the historic global climate summit in April of 2010 in
Cochabamba, Bolivia shouted, “We must change the System, not the climate.”
“Changing the System,” means defending our selves, the future generations,
and the biological carrying capacity of the planet from the ravages of
“profit at any cost” capitalism. “Changing the System,” means safeguarding
our delicately balanced climate, soils, oceans, and atmosphere from the fatal
consequences of fossil fuel-induced climate change. “Changing the System”
means exposing, dismantling, and replacing, not just individual
out-of-control corporations like Monsanto, Halliburton, and British
Petroleum, and out-of-control technologies like gene-altered crops and
mountaintop removal; but our entire chemical and energy-intensive industrial
economy, starting, at least for many of us, with Food Inc.’s destructive
system of industrial food and farming. “Changing the system,” means going on
the offensive and dismantling the most controversial and vulnerable flanks of
our suicide economy: coal plants, gas guzzlers, the military-industrial
complex, and industrial agriculture’s Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
and factory farms.

whole article at
http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_21747.cfm