livingontheland - [Livingontheland] self-sufficiency, I realize, is a misnomer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] self-sufficiency, I realize, is a misnomer
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:25:46 -0600

But self-sufficiency, I realize, is a misnomer. What I am aiming for is local
sufficiency. While I am marginally better at providing for myself, my
gradually accumulating “locafficiency” is very much dependent upon people I
see day-by-day. We feed each other's enthusiasm for sowing and building,
harvesting and preserving. We share knowledge as well as produce. Transition
Town Albany has sown the seeds and helped us connect, but we—my business
associates, clients, friends, and neighbors in wider and wider overlapping
circles—are the ones creating the Transition movement. It's happening, even
while I've been hunkering in the fog.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/blogs/pamela-omalley-chang/transition-impacts