livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fw: S. 510: 12 Reasons Why The Food Safety Bill From Hell Could Be Very Dangerous Fo

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fw: S. 510: 12 Reasons Why The Food Safety Bill From Hell Could Be Very Dangerous Fo
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 06:27:05 -0700 (PDT)

I haven't read the bill in its latest form but the previous versions I read are about what I expect - it will all come down to enforcement. You see this more and more with legislation where large parts of a bill are vague and left to relevant agencies to interpret and enforce. Consequently as with so many other acts I don't think anyone will know anything definitive until and unless its passed and has precedence established in court cases. There are some potentially troubling things about who pays for reviews , how the fee structure is capped, under what circumstances fines and usda actions are contestable , etc - but again these will largely come down to how the various sections are interpreted and enforced.

In my opinion handing more power to an agency that appears to have largely sat on its hands, which is underfunded and has a nebulous track record of success is probably not an ideal starting place. Perhaps reforming and redefining the USDA and FDA roles in food distribution and production should have come first. The problem with granting them enforcement powers is that they are beholding to a given administration, and as with the EPA we know their priorities shift with the politics of the time.