livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Shopping for fruits and vegetables in Medellin

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: <pbunch@cox.net>
  • To: livingontheland <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Shopping for fruits and vegetables in Medellin
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 9:06:05 -0700

Just went to buy fruits and vegetables from Chucho, the vendor who parks his
truck up by the corner on Wednesdays. For $Col 15,500 ($US 8.61) I got
onions, tomatoes, papa criolla (a very tasty local potato), tangerines,
apples, papayas and beans (fresh cargamantos) to shell. These in 1/2 and full
kilo quantities. Nice and fresh and of very good quality.

I would be better if they were organically grown, perhaps that will come.
What interests me is the distribution system. These guys buy their produce at
the big wholesale market and take it to the neighborhoods in their trucks on
specific days. This happens in all parts of the city, rich and poor alike.
There must be a lot of them to service this city of 3 million. It is a great
chance to chat with the neighbors and hear the latest happenings as well as
get a good price for the produce in a very convenient manner. There also are
several small shops that sell produce throughout the week within a three
block radius.

One can go to the big supermarkets but we do so only when we need other
things. We also buy at the big retail marketplaces when convenient. These are
very large with hundreds of vendors selling what ever is produced in the
region and a lot of dry goods. The prices are generally better than the big
box stores. There one can find organic produce at times, also generally at or
near the same price as the commercially grown goods.

  • [Livingontheland] Shopping for fruits and vegetables in Medellin, pbunch, 09/29/2010