livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] TWO AGRICULTURES, NOT ONE, By John Michael Greer
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2010 21:35:49 +0100

I think that folks in your region must have learned the value of their recyclable nutrients. I understand that many years ago US farmers had learned this lesson and were careful about manure use. Most likely with the less labor intensive chemical nutrients and the shift to large acreages they viewed this as irrelevant. One farmer here told me that cut green material was valuable to him. I don't know if that is traditional knowledge or recent education in organic methods.

Well, I have been planting trees for 25 years. It took about then years before they took off though but now the effects are already very clear. Annual leaf fall is a serious fertilizing factor and even more noticeable are the climatic effects. This used to be a wind swept mountain slope where an adult had problems keeping upright in a storm and that has improved enormously. But other vegetation likes that effect as well and so our animals.
john