livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Studies: Junk Food Causing Birth Defects

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Studies: Junk Food Causing Birth Defects
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:39:10 -0600

Studies: Junk Food Causing Birth Defects
Posted on September 10, 2010
http://wholefoodusa.wordpress.com/2010/09/10/junk-food-causing-birth-defects/

A recent study out of Georgetown University Medical Center has concluded that
what you eat can affect your children’s and grandchildren’s health, even if
they eat healthy themselves. Sonia de Assis and her colleagues observed that
rats fed Omega-6 fatty, unhealthy food pass on an increased cancer risk to
their children and grandchildren. Omega-6 fats are found in cheap, industrial
oils such as soy, vegetable and corn oil.

The study results were presented at this year’s American Association for
Cancer Research in Washington, D.C., and illustrates that a fatty diet can
actually contribute to “epigenetic” DNA modifications, which are inherited
changes in DNA patterns. Essentially, one’s offspring can inherit DNA changes
caused by their parents’ unhealthy diets and other environmental factors.

The story at msnbc states: If a person’s parents or grandparents ate a diet
rich in processed, chemical-laden foods throughout their lives, then the DNA
changes that likely occurred in their bodies may be passed down to their
children. Even if they themselves didn’t develop cancer, the children will be
more likely to develop it, based on the findings of the study.

And if the children also eat junk food diets that lack proper nutrients,
antioxidants, vitamins and other necessary life components, then their
children will be even more prone than they were to develop degenerative
diseases like cancer. END Excerpt

This should come as no surprise at all since decades ago both human and cat
studies showed moving into poor diets with junk food caused a host of
degenerative diseases, premature deaths and inability to reproduce. Now, with
the dominance of poorly produced, excessive processing and chemical
additives, contribute greatly to an epidemic of auto-immune and a
neurological disorders accompany physical degeneration and the more classical
ailments. In other words, junk foods are a cause of birth defects, and is
shown by this rat study to affect DNA structure passing it on to the next
generation. (I want to define my use of “birth defects”—hereditary factors
that sets up a child for serious health problems at birth, during childhood
or later. There is plenty of information now on how various stresses, such as
what we eat and drink, cause fractures in DNA—and can be repaired by the body
by changing the conditions. Vaccinations and other exposures can also do much
damage.

This new study confirms what has been known for more than 60 years and has
been proven over and over again.

Dr. Pottenger’s Cats: Raw vs Cooked Milk and Meat

In his classical experiments in cat feeding, more than 900 cats were studied
over 10 years. Dr. Frances Pottenger found that only diets containing raw
milk and raw meat produced optimal health: good bone structure and density,
wide palates with plenty of space for teeth, shiny fur, no parasites or
disease, reproductive ease and gentleness.

Cooking the meat or substituting heat processed milk for raw resulted in
heterogeneous reproduction and physical degeneration, increasing with each
generation. Vermin and parasites abounded. Skin diseases and allergies
increased from 5% to over 90%. Bones became soft and pliable. Cats suffered
from adverse personality changes, hypothyroidism and most of the degenerative
diseases encountered in human medicine. They died out completely by the
fourth generation.

The changes Pottenger observed in cats on the deficient diets paralleled the
human degeneration that Dr. Price found in tribes that had abandoned
traditional diets.

Dr. Price’s Studies of Change from Traditional to Modern Foods

Dr. Weston A. Price was a Cleveland dentist that traveled the world and found
that diets consisting of natural foods maintained the health and vitality of
many cultures thoughout the world for generations. When modern, processed
convenience foods entered into the reach of these peoples, those that ate
them and their suffered degenerative diseases and disorders. His worldwide
findings clearly showed that dental caries and deformed dental arches,
resulting in crowded, crooked teeth and unattractive appearance, were merely
a sign of physical degeneration, resulting from what he had suspected –
nutritional deficiencies.

>From the Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation, here is an excerpt of Dr.
>Price’s findings about his classic 1952 text, Nutrition and Physical
>Degeneration.

Price traveled the world over in order to study isolated human groups,
including sequestered villages in Switzerland, Gaelic communities in the
Outer Hebrides, Eskimos and Indians of North America, Melanesian and
Polynesian South Sea Islanders, African tribes, Australian Aborigines, New
Zealand Maori and the Indians of South America. Wherever he went, Dr. Price
found that beautiful straight teeth, freedom from decay, stalwart bodies,
resistance to disease and fine characters were typical of primitives on their
traditional diets, rich in essential food factors.

When Dr. Price analyzed the foods used by isolated primitive peoples he found
that they provided at least four times the calcium and other minerals, and at
least TEN times the fat-soluble vitamins from animal foods such as butter,
fish eggs, shellfish and organ meats.

The importance of good nutrition for mothers during pregnancy has long been
recognized, but Dr. Price’s investigation showed that primitives understood
and practiced preconception nutritional programs for both parents. Many
tribes required a period of premarital nutrition, and children were spaced to
permit the mother to maintain her full health and strength, thus assuring
subsequent offspring of physical excellence. Special foods were often given
to pregnant and lactating women, as well as to the maturing boys and girls in
preparation for future parenthood. Dr. Price found these foods to be very
rich in fat soluble vitamins A and D nutrients found only in animal fats.

These primitives with their fine bodies, homogeneous reproduction, emotional
stability and freedom from degenerative ills stand forth in sharp contrast to
those subsisting on the impoverished foods of civilization-sugar, white
flour, pasteurized milk and convenience foods filled with extenders and
additives.

When people move from the eating nutritious, farm fresh foods and begin
eating junk foods, their health fails. But when they move from McDonalds, TV
dinners, Cheeto’s, Cokes and Twinkies to farm, fresh foods including dairy
products and other nutritional foods and snacks, their health improves, and
in many cases their disorders go away. As successive generations in a family
continue to eat poorly the de-gene-ration accelerates and health problems can
multiply.

  • [Livingontheland] Studies: Junk Food Causing Birth Defects, Tradingpost, 09/11/2010