livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] pine shavings or rice hulls for bedding and the garden

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Aliza Vanderlip <songbird97520@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] pine shavings or rice hulls for bedding and the garden
  • Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 07:20:39 -0700 (PDT)

I am just north of california rice country so rice hulls are available at my local feed store LOL.  I used straw last year but I have to keep the floor cleaned up as it is a dg floor that gets damp in the winter over night with all the pee.  I am putting in raised wooden benches around the edges so they wont be on the cold floor - they like sleeping on the wood - but will have a layer of material - either the hulls or shavings - to soak up the urine.  I like it better if I keep it raked everyday.  My barn isnt conducive to a tractor though we did use it last winter.  I have not found a material that will stay really dry in a manure pack in the large pen in my barn through the winter.

as to the goatie thing - When you go to adga.org you click on adga genetics on the left hand side of the home page.  Go to pedigree and find your animal in question.  Then when you get there there are clickable links on the left side of each animals page.  If you are on a buck page and you click on linear appraisal you get the average numbers for all his daughters.  I think that is what I found that was interesting to you.  If the animal is female and was appraised in the last few years, her entire score card is up on the genetics site under linear appraisal.  There you will also find milk records - under production of course - on each individual animals page - as well as inbreeding percentages, progeny and a few other cool things.  For older animals you can access LA information through the adga members site.  Was that the info I found that you wanted?

Blessings,

Aliza

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” Howard Thurman