livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Growing Power conference...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Bobby G <bobbyg53211@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Growing Power conference...
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 13:02:23 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Fri, 9/3/10, livingontheland-request@lists.ibiblio.org
<livingontheland-request@lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

> And then there is this conference:
> http://www.growingpowerfarmconference.org/
>
> Best to all,
>
> Dan C.
> Belgium, WI

Hey everyone, I don't know how many Living on the Landers feel about this
conference, or Growing Power in general, but I find the cost of this
conference, fees plus all the travel expense, unjustifiable. Who is this for?
I consider myself part of the "urban agriculture" movement because
everything I'm doing is part of the "local food" here in the Central
Wisconsin cities. I certainly can't afford conferences like this, however.

Among the folks I often correspond with, a lot of people sort of resent the
high profile of Growing Power and how it's become a sort of Celebrity Farming
scene. You have your Michael Pollan, you have your Slow Food and Alice
Waters, you have your Slow Money people, and then, there's Growing Power.

Can anyone suggest more down-to-earth, working class centers for preserving
and passing on all the knowledge being gained by the unknown farmers doing
all the OTHER urban agriculture, the small permaculture projects, the
micro-farmers, the little CSAs who occasionally share knowledge, those sorts
of things?

Growing Power is fine I suppose, if you're able to garner hundreds of
thousands of dollars in foundation money, plus government grants, and employ
a small team of grant-writers. But I don't see how the small farmer starting
from scratch with just a crappy job on the side, can apply anything of what
Growing Power is doing. I don't think the project is really 'sustainable' to
use today's hot buzzword.

Any feedback is welcome. Here's pictures of the 5 acre spot we're in the
midst of buying:
http://www.biodiversecity.com/5acres.html

Bobby G.
Central Wisc. USA.

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Growing Power conference..., Bobby G, 09/05/2010