livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Seeking "Sunshine Replenishes Soil"

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: mdnagel@verizon.net
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Seeking "Sunshine Replenishes Soil"
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:22:14 -0500 (CDT)

Energy != minerals. Energy can affect minerals, mineral "production"
(breakdown), but these are two different things.

When things leave the farm you lose both minerals and energy. The energy is
readily replenished via the sun. Minerals, well... they come from existing
"stock," or, as most often the case, are imported from outside the farm: you
can assist the breakdown of minerals, but there's a point at which one can
over-mine the soil.

-Mark Nagel
Everett, WA