livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Muscovy ducks

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Muscovy ducks
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:25:10 -0700 (PDT)

Here, in Texas, we are in the far north east corner of their natural range.  They are an equatorial bird (generally) but have shown themselves capable of dealing in the north.  NO matter how you think, from your personal flock, there are solid reports from around the world of them going feral in most climates.  Here, where they deal with their natural enemies, they calmly survive around crocodile, raccoon, feral ferrets, dogs and cats, lynx, fox, coyote and even the occasional puma. (that's just in the area, in their central zone I know there are 3-4 more predators) not to mention gettng through our traffic hazard.  I can easily see that if they can survive your weather, they can survive 2 piddling small predators.   So I think any dismissal of their invasive capacity is unrealistic; http://www.squidoo.com/muskovy-ducks  Do remember that prey animals, like these, tend to breed more in the atmosphere of natural predation.  Only active over-hunting (on top of the above list of predation) has quelled their population so deeply in their home range that the issue of conservation even came up.

Yours, Pego

<< They would not survive in the wild for more than a very few days with the predators we have (and this is Ireland, no coyotes, raccoons, and all the other duck eaters you are supposed to have in the US, just fox and mink>>