livingontheland - [Livingontheland] World's Largest Farmers Markets (PHOTOS)

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] World's Largest Farmers Markets (PHOTOS)
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:40:46 -0600

World's Largest Farmers Markets (PHOTOS)
07-14-10 08:12 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/14/worlds-largest-farmers-ma_n_637851.=
html#s111092

"There is perhaps no better supplier for locavore eating then farmers markets
for from farm to fork dining. There are 5,274 farmers markets in the United
States. The number has grown annually since 1994, when the USDA recorded a
mere 1,755 farmers markets. Over 19,000 farmers in the United States sell
their produce at farmers markets. According to Planet Green's Know Your
Farmers Market quiz, farmers are able to take home ninety percent of each
dollar earned. Additionally, 82 percent of food sold at farmers markets is
labeled organic by the USDA. Bill McKibben said, "The farmers market became
our metaphor for how to think creatively about food in this country." We here
at HuffPost Green couldn't agree more and so we decided to investigate some
of the world's largest farmers markets."

  • [Livingontheland] World's Largest Farmers Markets (PHOTOS), Tradingpost, 07/14/2010