livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Where Agriculture Meets Empire

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Where Agriculture Meets Empire
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 14:56:50 -0600

Let me suggest Dr. Albert Bartlett, The Exponential Function
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-QA2rkpBSY

"1.4 million views for an old codger giving a lecture about arithmetic?
What's going on? You'll just have to watch to see what's so damn amazing
about what he (Albert Bartlett) has to say. I introduce this video to my
students as "Perhaps the most boring video you'll ever see, and definitely
the most important." But then again, after watching it most said that if you
followed along with what the presenter (a professor emeritus of Physics at
Univ of Colorado-Boulder) is saying, it's quite easy to pay attention,
because it is so damn compelling."

I'd add this: The population must level off because the entire resource base
is depleting too fast. We won't do it - but Mother Nature will fight back. I
mean that literally. We've used up the best resources, screwed up the oceans,
the air, the freshwater, the forests, and the soil. It's all interconnected
and consequences follow. We'll be lucky if She doesn't shrink the population
to pre-industrial revolution levels.