livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Alternative Pollinators:Native Bees

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Norma Sutton <sweetspringfarm@gmail.com>
  • To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Alternative Pollinators:Native Bees
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 23:58:34 -0400

I ran across this site tonight.  Interesting to read and see the photos.
Norma

http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/nativebee.html

Abstract

Mason bee on berberis
Mason bee on berberis. Photo by USDA-ARS, Jack Dykinga.

This publication provides information and resources on how to plan for, protect and create habitat for native bees in agricultural settings. Creating and preserving native bee habitat is a good risk management strategy for farmers of specialty crops such as almonds, apples, blackberries, blueberries, cherries, cranberries, pears, plums, squash, tomatoes and watermelons. Oil and biofuel crops requiring bee pollination include canola and sunflower. Even meat and dairy industries are dependent on bee pollination for the production of forage seed such as alfalfa and clover. In many cases, these native pollinators are, on a bee-for-bee basis, more efficient than honey bees.

--
I now have 3 books available in my lulu store:

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=174864

visit our farm site
at:http://www.freewebs.com/sweetspringfarm/

  • [Livingontheland] Alternative Pollinators:Native Bees, Norma Sutton, 07/01/2010