livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Sustainable systems

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Doug Willhite <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org, Paul <paul@oneseedling.com>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Sustainable systems
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 19:22:23 -0700

Thanks so much for sharing, Paul.

What types of fish are you folks raising? Are your fish cooking up tastily for meals?

I look forward to seeing more pix of your endeavors posted to your website in the future.
doug

___________________________

From: paul@oneseedling.com

Here at Reliance Community Farms we chose from the start to create
sustainable systems based on the lowest technology possible. Here in
central Texas we are blessed will two elements necessary in that quest,
wind and sunlight.
We chose to use aquaponics as the basis for most of our growing systems.
Currently we use a small 110V fountain pump to move water through the
system. These pumps use about the same energy as a childs night light
(bulb type). Even though this is cheap to run we have also instituted a
12V system powered by a 300W wind generator for emergency. The past six
months have proved that this system will stand alone.
Our next step is to utilize a mechanical wind pump of our own design (one
currently in operation) to move the water in each system. We have utilized
a blade system simular to the Gavaotes/Fergerson design and an inexpensive
Pump built from PVC pipe parts. We have successfully used this design to
supply water to the house for the past year. A total of 8 will be built
and attached to the house to supply water for the house and 7 aquaponic
units capable of raising enough food each for four people. We are
currently able to build each wind/water pumper for around $100.
Additionaly, even though we have a wind powered well to supply water to
the house we will increasingly depend on rain water. To that end we are
able to collect water from 3,100 sq ft of roof, store it in a 3,800 gal
rain water tank which overflows to two 800 gal secondary tank, one which
is also used as a fish tank.
Thus we are going to be able to raise enough food for 28 people within the
confines of a 40X40 courtyard surrounded by a 4,000 sq ft house built from
40 ft shipping containers with zero energy output from electricity. Not
there yet but closer each day. Even the washing machine will be mechanical
wind power.
Outside the house we raise goats, ducks, geese, guineas, chickens and
rabbits. Not quite to the sustainable phase with the animals but close.
This will happen during the next growing season.

The fish are fed duckweed which we raise here. Duckweed replicates itself
every 24hrs at 70F water temp.

I have made several windgens but for my time and money the 300W windgen at
http://www.usawindgen.com/ is the way to go.

Since the pics you have seen we have insulated the outside with commercial
insulation used on commercial metal buildings and covered with old barn
tin. The inside is insulated with 3/8in closed cell foam. We took
advantage of the fact that there is usually a breeze at 10-20ft off the
ground.

Paul the Skeptic

http://chihuahuavalley.net

  • [Livingontheland] Sustainable systems, Doug Willhite, 06/30/2010