livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] "No till" is a big white lie

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Ken Hargesheimer <minifarms2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] "No till" is a big white lie
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:35:44 -0700 (PDT)

No-tillage is defined in this paper as the planting of crops in previously unprepared soil by opening a narrow slot, trench or band only of sufficient width and depth to obtain proper seed coverage. No other soil preparation is performed (Phillips and Young, 1973). We also refer here to permanent no-tillage rather than not tilling the soil occasionally. It is understood that the soil remains covered by crop residues from previous cash crops or green manure cover crops (GMCC’s) and that most of the crop residues remain undisturbed at the soil surface after seeding.

I have many articles on no--till if any one wants more.

http://www.cedarmeadowfarm.com/  Spoke at his farm work day.

Ken H