livingontheland - [Livingontheland] tomato support or pots or??

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Andeanfx" <andeanfx@midrivers.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] tomato support or pots or??
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 12:05:07 -0600

It is rather late but we are needing to get tomato plants planted and are needing a cheap and temporary, means of supporting them to keep them off the soil or grow them in pots or something.  We have plastic barrel halves on the patio which are an option, we could raise them and plant upside down but are concerned about the water requirements.  Thinking as I type, we could raise the pots and let the plants cascade which would be easier than starting over and give better height.  We planted squash in the barrel halves on the patio last year and they just did not grow well at all.  That was the first year we had those planters and the soil came from "top soil" from a housing development so not sure how good it really is.

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."