livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Like the early 1900's...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Doug Willhite <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Like the early 1900's...
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 07:12:05 -0700

To Paul:

When the Transition Towns movement began there was a whirlwind of euphoria and hope that took hold of some folks who had been blogging on peak oil. I was a longtime reader and fan of Bob Banner's regional magazine, HopeDance, when he shifted the entire focus of his magazine into promoting Transition California. Bob's trying to find someone else to take over the Transition CA website now.

I joined up for a brief stint when TC first began. The site didn't work very well and had a cult feel... like "Facebook for Peak Oilers." I quickly became aware that being a member wasn't going to help build my local community any because there weren't any other members from my area -- I would have to recruit my neighbors to join up. (Too much work!) I haven't returned to their website since. I'd rather put my limited energies into building a real food system and a real community with real neighbors.

To Dan:

We agree that in actuality there are basically only two economic classes: working class folks (the vast majority) vs. the owners of vital resources and production (the ruling elite). But there is a class of workers -- a kind of managerial class -- who are direct beneficiaries of this longstanding arrangement. They defend and perform the bidding of the ruling elite. (For an example, see everyone working at Fox News.) For lack of a better word, we can call these folks the middle class. ;^)

doug

Transition California
• Local Self-Reliance for a Post-Petroleum World •
A message to all members of Transition California

Time for someone else to take over the CA ning site
If you are interested please contact me at bob.banner@gmail.com.

Some videos and articles that may be of interest to you:

BABIES - Official Trailer
Happy - A Documentary Trailer
Furry Vengeance - Can you imagine hollywood making a family comedy about the nastiness of corporate housing developers who wish to strip a pristine preserved forest?
INGREDIENTS (another food film) is finally available for public screenings

Something Monumental Is Going To Happen / Flordemayo

Bolivia's Evo Morales: Capitalism and Plastic No, Mother Earth and Indigenous Products, Yes
Sacred Economics

Alcatraz Goes Solar With 1,360 Panels
The Blue Economy Cultivating a New Business Model for a Time of Crisis

How some small towns are getting national recognition for local food:
From Farm to Fork: San Luis Obispo Feeds the Appetite and Soul

Time for someone else to take over the CA ning site
If you are interested please contact me at bob.banner@gmail.com.

Now up to 1,038 members.
Visit Transition California at: http://transitioncalifornia.ning.com/? xg_source=msg_mes_network

http://chihuahuavalley.net

  • Re: [Livingontheland] Like the early 1900's..., Doug Willhite, 05/13/2010