livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Bee Catastrophe: 1/3 of Colonies Died This Winter...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pumpkin Lady <pumpkingal@clearwire.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Bee Catastrophe: 1/3 of Colonies Died This Winter...
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 10:50:08 -0500

Doug Willhite wrote:
For "Seed / Garden / Animal Husbandry" e-groups:

Bee Catastrophe: 1/3 of Colonies Died This Winter, Worries Grow About Terminal Decline
The honeybee is responsible for pollinating 90 commercial crops worldwide. What do we do if they're gone?

Except that, from what I understand, "honey bees" are an introduced species in the US, and they are NOT responsible for nearly that much pollination, and even if they are, they do it by displacing stuff that used to do it before they were introduced.

Oh, and BTW, AFAIK, beekeepers historically used to kill off most of their bees so they didn't have to try to keep them alive over the winter.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/12/061211220927.htm

http://topics.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/11/honey-bees-a-history/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090507121949.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pollinator