livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Living Off The Land

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "henry walden" <henrywalden@lycos.com>
  • To: "Healthy soil and sustainable growing" <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Living Off The Land
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 23:51:54 -0400 (EDT)

Seeings as how this is a discussion sight I'm going to throw my two cents in
and see where it goes, simply for the sake of debate:

To begin with, as a grower I can see that the Dervas are very passionate
obout their philosophy, and I'm not looking for points here but anyone that
has inspired Paul is in my opinion on the right track, as he and his wife
Barb, and everyone on this list have certainly inspired me.

What concerns me is not what they're doing but how ABC presents it to the
nation; maybe it's just me but I'm leery (and weary)

of the mainstream media's agenda. While presenting the possibilities of
sustainability, I would argue that this harks back to our thread recently on
this issue (self-sustainability) that we frankly beat to death for about
three weeks, and if I had to draw a conclusion I think it would be to note
the in your face impossibility of this and beyond that why? I don't think
this should be presented as this family's success story as such, this neither
shows them the integrity that they deserve nor does it present the realities
of such a lifestyle. All this said however I still want a bumper-sticker that
reads " I'm keeping up with the Dervas".

Ed