livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] AGRICULTURAL APOCALYPSE, 2010

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan@windwalkerfarm.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] AGRICULTURAL APOCALYPSE, 2010
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 10:48:33 -0500

Title: Re: [Livingontheland] AGRICULTURAL APOCALYPSE, 2010
I was thinking about this article in the shower this morning and wondered if we really have to worry about hordes of people coming to our farm for food.  First of all, there really are some who don’t know where food actually comes from; and, second, they have no clue what it is or how to prepare, cook, or eat it.  I’ve had checkers at our local grocery (we are a “farming community”) have no clue what a butternut squash or kale is, hadn’t even heard of it.  The inner city folks have been removed from real food with the lack of true grocery stores so that they have to rely on Quick Trip and other mini-marts for food.  We truly wouldn’t have anything they would recognize and that’s pitiful.  The folks in the suburbs would be so stunned that no one has food “for them” that they might just sit and wait for food to show up somehow.  It’s all very interesting to ponder and I doubt little in the article so I think we need to be prepared to teach people, maybe in return for real work!

Joan
Www.windwalkerfarm.com