livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Fwd: The Looming Water Disaster That Could Destroy California, and Enrich Its Billionaire Farmers

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Fwd: The Looming Water Disaster That Could Destroy California, and Enrich Its Billionaire Farmers
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 12:15:15 -0700 (PDT)

Its a long email which I don't have time to read right now, but I'm more than a little interested. The situation here seems murky at best and I've been trying to get clear information for a long time. It seems to me there are many factors driving water issues here, going back a long way.

There's growth of the central valley's suburban communities which some say is breaking the backs of smaller farmers just above the central valley - they seem to be on the way out. There's the selenium issues from sacramento to south of patterson. There's the piting of delta fisherman who need fresh water in the Sacramento's spawning beds against farmers who need it for irrigation. And of course questions about the water content and stability of the almighty Sierra snowpack without which the state will dry up like a snail on salt. Then there are those who claim there is plenty of water every time it sprinkles or the local reservoirs are near capacity. The decision Feinstein (then S.F. mayor) made to take money from the hetch hetchy canal repair fund to hire police for san francisco hasn't made for extra clarity either. Neither have the limits (and I don't know the status here anymore) imposed on taking water from the colorado. All isolated datapoints, which I can't seem to make a coherent view out of.