livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Poisoned hay. Was: soil testing

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Dieter Brand <diebrand@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Poisoned hay. Was: soil testing
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:45:28 -0700 (PDT)

I don’t know if this has been mentioned. A couple of years ago the follwoing
story hit the news-lines in the UK. Grass land had been sprayed with the
herbicide aminopyralid, the grass was cut and made into silage for feeding
cows, the cow manure was composted and sold to organic gardeners and home
gardeners all over the UK. When the vegetables grown with this compost
turned out deformed and crippled, it was found that the herbicide had passed
from grass to silage to cow to manure to compost to vegetables. Growers and
gardeners were advised not to eat their vegetables. This shows well that
agrochemicals don’t break down to disappear into nothingness. Everything we
put into the soil will sooner or later end up in our body. Read the full
story at:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/jun/29/food.agriculture

Dieter