livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Small-lot silage

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Small-lot silage
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 20:50:10 -0400

Has anybody on the list experimented with making small-lot silage? Seems like a great concept--see
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Small-scale+silage+your+yard+can+be+your+field.+%28Feeds+%26+feeding%29.-a083553803
and
http://www.smallstock.info/tools/feed/silage/lbs02.htm

The thing I don't like about these approaches is the generation of plastic trash. I'm thinking about using some food grade plastic drums (plastic, yes, but more durable--and if recycled, already in being anyway) or discarded wine/whiskey barrels to experiment with the concept. If I get serious about the process, I could make a small concrete lined, earth trench, I suppose.

Has anyone made silage on the home, as opposed to farm, scale? Model? Results?

Thanks.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Va
www.themodernhomestead.us

My book, THE MODERN HOMESTEAD POULTRY FLOCK, will be published next year by
Chelsea Green Publishing.