livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Produce to the People: Collaborating for Food Access

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Produce to the People: Collaborating for Food Access
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 14:42:26 -0700

Glad someone brought up those points, Jean. Yes, sustainable food production
must first sustain the producer. Question being, is that happening when we
have to get volunteers, sponsors, donors, and grants just to keep going? All
those have cash value, cash we don't have to lay out from our own returns.
They aren't financially viable any more than the ridiculous ethanol plants
built on our tax money. Sure we should support hard-pressed food banks. But
I'd ask for grants to buy at a fair price from a farm to provide below cost
to end buyers or food banks.

I can relate to the difficulty you and your partner face with affordable
land. My focus from day one has been getting the most sustainable produce
from the least land. Chadwick and Jeavons and many others have pioneered
these methods for many years. I've adapted my own methods to this end, with
all raised beds, planting intensively, mulching, and succession planting
where feasible. But I don't have the last word on how to do it. Much depends
on local conditions, local markets, and what can be profitably grown where.

But there are simply certain crops that probably should not be grown
commercially on expensive land. I recall Eliot Coleman's approach of setting
a baseline of a certain level of profit per square foot. By a set standard,
some crops don't justify the space they take or the time they take in that
space. I admit there's guesswork involved at best, but I try to nail down the
crops that are highest value for the space and time they take. Slicing
tomatoes and carrots definitely make the cut. Paste tomatoes do not - in my
figures. Nor do salad greens. Why not salad greens? Not because they don't
produce enough or sell high enough, but because they don't keep well enough
unless I can sell a guaranteed amount wholesale daily to restaurants. And it
isn't worth my growing time to go wholesale.

YMMV