livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Locavores

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Laurie Ann Powell <laurie@powellclan.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Locavores
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 20:29:32 -0500

Eva asked: "Why not pay them more?"

I'm not sure what you are asking here. Me, personally? Or us, as a society?

I try to buy as much as I can from the locals, introduce others to their farms, and ask them about other services they offer. Whether I could pay $3 for a tomato, I don't know. That would tend to push me toward working harder to grow my own - as it is now, my efforts at gardening are amusing but not terribly productive.

A major paradigm shift has to happen, Paul - people have to realize that being healthy is cheaper than being sick. People may spend only 10% on food, but they are spending way, way more on their health.

Hand lotions, special shampoos, prescribed and over the counter drugs, doctors and ER visits all must be mentally added to the consumer's "food cost" column, as well as what you pointed out - the impact in other areas.

I'm down to using hand made soap and expensive deodorant as my only "beauty aids"... And have trouble not showing my amazement at all the alcohol and fragrance laden products people are slathering on themselves.
Probably gambling, video games, and mall shopping should also be added to the "cost of food column" as people spend, trying to acquire the "sense of well being" they do not have from their food.

Laurie Ann

  • [Livingontheland] Locavores, Laurie Ann Powell, 03/15/2010