livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Greenhouse project promotes self-sufficiency

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Greenhouse project promotes self-sufficiency
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:21:46 -0700

To answer both of you, build yourself with cheap, basic materials instead of
buying the latest and greatest kit or sitebuilt by so called experts. I've
seen hoophouses being built, but I don't have that kind of money or a crew of
volunteers. And they have some drawbacks. I assume commercial ones do recover
their investment over time. I recover in three months selling. Folks have
made their own greenhouses for a long time, but 6 mil UV plastic is a fairly
recent development.

Now I don't make triple wall polycarbonate for tomatoes in the dead of
winter. That's simply uneconomical north of a certain latitude, or a very
expensive hobby. I'm not a carpenter (no blueprints) but it helps to have
some experience with lumber. I frame with 2x4s, deck screws and hurricane
ties, and cover with 6 mil UV roll plastic. Also used a lot of cheaper cull
lumber from Home Depots. Straight salvage would work too. They make a little
plastic strip on a spool that I staple through the strip and plastic into the
wood, called Polytack. 3/8 staples in an electric staple gun hold it for
three or four years till the UV plastic itself starts to degrade. I make a
simple frame with rafters 4 feet apart and cover one section at a time.

As tears develop over time I can replace single sections as needed. I go
through a lot of staples. Need I mention it needs a good ladder. They have to
stand up against 50+ winds here so I triangle brace inside, and anchor the
whole thing with treated posts in holes cemented in. All these approaches
might vary with the builder and some can certainly do better than I. Working
by myself, and I'm 66, it does take time, and you probably won't do it on
weekends. Starting on a small scale is wise. Draw the framing on graph paper
or something.

Photo attached shows framing with raised beds. Foreground peppers with heavy
branches tied up with clothesline.