livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Getting Your Family on Board with Storing Food...

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Harvey Ussery <harvey@themodernhomestead.us>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Getting Your Family on Board with Storing Food...
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 09:15:52 -0500

Getting Your Family On Board with Storing Food
by Sharon Astyk

Ok, I've convinced you - you need a reserve of food, you want to learn to can and dehydrate. . .

The big problem with the article is it assumes that food storage is about "canning and dehydrating" (and purchased processed--i.e. dried or canned) foods.

We need to pay a lot more attention to versions of "food storage" our great-grandparents used--vegetables and fruits that store naturally without processing (cabbages, onions, winter squash, all sorts of root crops, nuts, the list is as long as your arm)--also cold hardy cooking and salad greens we can grow in many areas with only a little winter protection--sprouting stored seeds--etc etc.

~Harvey

--
Harvey in northern Virginia
www.themodernhomestead.us

What value do the ten largest banks in the world have if we take away the ten
largest oil fields? ~Jeffrey Brown