livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Impossible Farming Between Factory and the Local Farm

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pego Rice <firekeeper38@yahoo.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Impossible Farming Between Factory and the Local Farm
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:11:07 -0800 (PST)

Oh Please

Darlin is using propaganda techniques common to the climate change deniers and other ad campaigns.  It wades in with as much to do with emotion, or more, than it has to do with fact.

Most of our shipped foods are getting to be staples grown in the off season that is someone else's "On" season. Potatoes and tomatoes ruining other people's traditional ag communities for the higher profit margins of industrial production.  There is nothing in *that* to do with novelty, or even good nutrition or flavor, simply economies of scale, permissible in a low-wage and lower civil-rights areas.

When shipping and labor costs crank the costs of these foods back upwards and extravagant combines makes our American industrial farms too costly, we still need food we can afford.  Even now, the simple desire to have healthy, more flavorful food is driving people back to home gardens and farmers markets.

The second author, Logsdon, expanded on a point that is one of industrial farming's failings as a reason other sorts of farming will fail.  That's a poor habit of shuttered thinking, itself overly concrete, it assumes facts not only not in evidence but that everyone that listens with make the same assumptions.  This again has more to do with propaganda methods than with facts on the ground.  I would much have preferred to hear reports from the small alternative farm communities that are doing the same crops in their own varied ways, than to bumble along swallowing whole the author's demanded, but not related, assumptions.

All over the world, solid reportage shows organic and small farms managing to function and produce when industrial farms are whithering in the face of inclement weather.  That trend showed up both last hellish hot droughty summer in my local and this winter as well.  His proclamations not being supported at all by fact.

Yours, Pego

<<He has a valid point about how our nation's appetite for a diversity of food runs counter to the ideal of 100 percent local sourcing.......On the other hand, I think he grossly misses the reality that most people who are seeking out now local food are not doing so with an all or nothing mindset.>>

  • [Livingontheland] Impossible Farming Between Factory and the Local Farm, Pego Rice, 02/15/2010