livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] The myth of self reliance

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Pete Vukovich <pvukovic1@yahoo.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] The myth of self reliance
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 17:18:38 -0800 (PST)

People seem to view this as an absolute (present company excepted) a lot of the time. Its part of what makes industrial economies utterly pathetic, and 'primitive living' absolutists seem unrealistic.

The more self sufficient the individual, the more self sufficient the community, the less its impacted by external failure, the more it can reinforce itself and the more redundant its ability to meet its needs - hence less failure prone it is. Communities run like auto assembly lines are doomed to fail, just like individuals running off into the woods and disconnecting from the outside world are prone to fail. If I were to choose a mantra here it would be: keep striving to do as much as you can on your own, try to avoid competition with your neighbors, and stay conservative but not absolutist about what gets imported and what gets exported.