livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] seed starting medium

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: dan conine <dconine@bertramwireless.com>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] seed starting medium
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 17:09:58 -0600

I also use a sterile mix for starting, but it is a fine peat-based mix, in very small cells. I transplant either directly to the field or to larger cells in coir mix.
Mostly, I do it for the easy handling of the fine starter mix, and would simply switch to a soil mix (solar sterilized) if I can't obtain it any more.

I highly recommend that if you are doing anything for sales, that you make your own germinating box. I built one many years ago, but mine is too big for most small holders. It consists of racks inside an insulated box, and a water pan in the bottom that has a water heater element (a 220v element running on 110v)controlled by a bulb thermostat. I can set it to any temperature and it holds it accurately, at 100% humidity. Broccoli will be 1" tall in about 10 hours if I'm not careful (it needs more light in it).
I also made racks in my basement with lights for starting onions early in the year. I use both of these less than I needed to initially, as I am a little better at managing starts in the greenhouse now. I would love to do more with cold frames and hot frames, but my addled brain needs automated control systems or I kill everything.

Dan C.
Belgium, WI

  • Re: [Livingontheland] seed starting medium, dan conine, 01/30/2010