livingontheland - Re: [Livingontheland] Seeds

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Eva <eva@whitepineisland.com>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Livingontheland] Seeds
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:35:53 -0800

Guidelines for buying (organic) seed

Buying good seed is an important part of farming and gardening. This time of year, seed catalogs and seed racks can be very tempting. Many people focus on choosing varieties, but choosing a good seed supplier is just as important.

So, how do you find a good, organic seed supplier?

Ask your gardening friends which companies they recommend and why they recommend them.

Ask the seed suppliers:
  • To provide a copy of their organic certificate.
  • Do they sell treated seed? If so - is treated seed clearly listed in the catalog and on the packaging?
  • Is all seed is GMO free? If not - how is contamination avoided?
  • Do all seed packets and invoices include information on lot numbers & germination rates (not just packaging year)?
  • What is their policy for recalling/refunding seed in case of poor quality or other quality issues?
  • How do they  assure varietal purity and seed quality?
A reputable seed company should be able to provide all of the above information.

When you have chosen seed suppliers, you can browse the bounty of great varieties knowing  you will  be off to  the best possible  start.

Tradingpost wrote:
201001300825110812.0075AA9E@mail.lobo.net" type="cite">
I've sent my own compiled list of 300 seed sellers to this list before, but just came across this and there's got to be something useful there for every one of  us

http://growingtaste.com/seedsmen.shtml
http://growingtaste.com/buying.shtml

Which reminds me, is anyone here growing Florence fennel?