livingontheland - [Livingontheland] the spirituality of minerals, plants, & animals

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Doug Willhite <drwillhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] the spirituality of minerals, plants, & animals
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 06:00:34 -0800

Thank you for the weblink, Debbie.

At the risk of sounding completely woo-woo... uh-oh, too late, I think I've already done that... ;) a remarkable energy can be felt/ intuited here in chihuahua valley. Between the mighty old oak trees, chunks of crystal and tourmaline literally laying around on the ground, and everywhere there are remnants & artifacts from ancient indigenous cultures. Indeed, it is a privilege to live here, sleep here, and walk this sacred ground on a daily basis.

In the last week we've had eight inches of hard rain... the creek through our property was gushing rapidly again... but only for a day or so. Then it started snowing hard and the creek slowed way down. There are eight inches plus of very heavy, crusty, frozen snow outside now. Another storm is predicted for today or tomorrow, (Tues. or Wed.) Lots of tree limbs are down from all the dense, wet, heavy snow. Some branches are leaning over touching the ground. Our olive trees got hammered.

On days like these all my outdoor projects are on hold -- other than monitoring water drainage, shoveling snow, tending the firewood box, checking boundary lines for dog, coyote, and bob cat tracks (the snow makes that easy) and making sure all the animals get enough food & water. After trudging around in the thick, heavy snow I usually feel pretty worn out...

Apple trees love it here. We harvested ten crates full this year. I've got ten more Honey-Crisp bareroot apple trees ready to plant as soon as we can see the bare ground again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------

Today's Topics:

1. Re: the spirituality of plants & animals/Doug your website
(Debbie Mcdonald)

Hey Doug,
I decided to visit your website and then wanted to see where you all were as I just visited CA in early July to get my goats, a long long trip:). I got to hug/visit with some most wonderful redwood trees and it will be on my best things ever in life list for always. But.....I googled Chihuahua Valley and came up with this website that tells your minerals which has some very inspiring ones from a spiritual angle and thought you might like to see what mineral forces are on your side in your area:). But. I cannot make the link work to tell me what is in my area???:( Anyway, here it is
http://www.mindat.org/loc-208117.html
One of my goats is named Tourmaline:), it has wonderful energy.

There are some cool (informative) conversations going on on this here list-serve! :) Honestly, most of the time I haven't
got the time to jump in and voice my two-cents worth... but I want to add a couple thoughts to the thread about the spirituality of plants:

Some indigenous shamans say that the plants are higher than
the animals (including us) in the hierarchy of nature. They say
that the plants created animals to help spread their seeds around.

I always talk to the trees, the wildlife, the plants, our livestock, even insects... :) I listen intently for their answers too. I often touch them appreciatively... we have a big, buck, billy
goat that I sometimes do back massages on...

Other guys in the neighborhood are always joking around,
putting each other down by calling each other "tree-hugger." I say to
them: "I've gotta go now. I've got some trees that need hugging!"

doug

http://chihuahuavalley.net