livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Sources

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Sources
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 10:59:17 -0700

Agriculture is closely tied to hunger, health, economies, biodiversity, land
justice, politics, and climate change. Grassroots organizations all over the
world and some governments are rising to the demands of our time and pushing
for fair, sustainable food production for all. For those who want to delve
deeper into all these issues as they relate to agriculture, I've pulled
together some of these sources. Just scratching the surface of course.

National Geographic magazine "Global Food Crisis: The End of Plenty" says:
"Modern society has relieved us of the burden of growing, harvesting, even
preparing our daily bread, in exchange for the burden of simply paying for
it. Only when prices rise do we take notice. And the consequences of our
inattention are profound."
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2009/06/cheap-food/bourne-text

Environmental Health Practitioner, Waste not want not, explores: "Where we
get our food from, what we eat and how it gets from farm to plate is
exercising policy makers and the debate is set to impact on health, food
safety, the economy, climate change and sustainability."
http://www.cieh.org/ehp/ehp3.aspx?id=16966

http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/
http://www.cornucopia.org/
http://www.iatp.org/
http://www.sustainabletable.org/issues/eatlocal/
http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/local_food/
http://www.farmtotablenm.org/
http://www.acresusa.com/magazines/magazine.htm
http://www.fao.org/
http://sustainableagriculture.net/
http://www.postcarbon.org/report/41306-the-food-and-farming-transition-toward
http://www.defra.gov.uk/news/latest/2009/defra-0924.htm
http://www.srfood.org/
http://www.foodsecurity.ac.uk/
http://www.grain.org/front/
http://farmlandgrab.org/
http://www.foodethicscouncil.org/node/367
http://www.oxfam.org.uk/resources/policy/climate_change/fair-food-miles
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~db=all~content=g917718511
http://www.foei.org/en/media/archive/2009/we-can-feed-the-planet-and-save-the-world
http://blogs.worldwatch.org/nourishingtheplanet/
http://www.oaklandinstitute.org/?q=node/view/526
http://www.ifpri.org/publication/agriculture-and-climate-change
http://www.sd-commission.org.uk/presslist.php/101/sdc-stop-decline-in-uk-food-production
ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/010/ai781e/ai781e00.pdf
http://www.worldwatch.org/node/6126
http://www.ippr.org/members/download.asp?f=%2Fecomm%2Ffiles%2Fjust%5Fdesserts%2Epdf
http://www.chathamhouse.org.uk/publications/papers/view/-/id/694/
http://web.missouri.edu/~ikerdj/
http://www.farmandfoodproject.org/
http://www.lavidalocavore.org/

  • [Livingontheland] Sources, Tradingpost, 01/22/2010