livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Basics of What This Means

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Basics of What This Means
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:18:19 -0700

excerpt from
Oil Production is Reaching its Limit: The Basics of What This Means
by Gail the Actuary on November 16, 2009 - 5:35pm
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/5969

"... My personal view is that the main task we should be focusing on now is
how to move to a much simpler system—one that depends mostly on locally grown
food and locally manufactured goods. This will likely mean a much lower
standard of living. Limiting population should probably be a goal, because it
will be easier to have enough for all if there are fewer mouths to feed.

"I do not see climate change legislation as terribly helpful. Cap and trade
will add huge overhead to the system—something we really cannot afford right
now. Peak oil is likely to mean a continuing major recession, and a natural
decline in fossil fuel use. To me, we would be better off spending our
resources developing local agriculture and local manufacturing, and perhaps
even sailing ships."

  • [Livingontheland] Basics of What This Means, Tradingpost, 11/18/2009