livingontheland - [Livingontheland] Earthworms in Clay:O

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: Debbie Mcdonald <belynor@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Healthy soil and sustainable growing <livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] Earthworms in Clay:O
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 16:02:15 -0800 (PST)

I've just hit this thread. I recently moved to 45 acres in an area considered
"sandy loam" in north east TX. When I first started walking the land, as
there was nothing here but what I loved about it, BIG huge old growth
trees(for TX), two spring fed ponds, a creek running through in two places
from run off from two places, a lake on the next door property and this one
from the pond and some pasture area(eight? acres), I had hooved animals:) .
The bulk of the land is higher up and has some pasture area which is SAND
because of farming for crops then pasture. There is vetch in spring but a few
problem weeds(horse nettle, grass burrs). In the woods(big trees mostly as I
said, not dense small growth), I could pull up a handful of soil to
sniff(heavenly organic matter) and very close underneath was WORMS.  I used
to live west of here and practiced as organic as I could afford for almost
twenty years and you could dig in my front yard of clay mostly, some
sand spots etc. YOu didn't get worms except in my flower garden where I used
a large cover of oak leaf mulch every winter to keep plants that were not
supposed to overwinter here, to overwinter. The mycorrhizal fungi was rich in
those beds as I did not disturb the ecology, practicing no till. I used to
try to make visitors to sniff the majic but they were always a bit uneasy as
they did not understand, why should they sniff dirt.
I imagine the time of year matters with the dryness that occurs off and on.