livingontheland - [Livingontheland] How We Eat

livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Healthy soil and sustainable growing

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@lobo.net>
  • To: livingontheland@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Livingontheland] How We Eat
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 23:19:27 -0700

This page is from our list member Harvery Ussery who also writes now and then
for Backyard Poultry, Mother Earth News, and Countryside & Small Stock
Journal. His website begins at http://themodernhomestead.us/article/Home.html
. For anyone who might think we're all doom and gloom, we're actually
pointing a way to better living by recognizing the urgency and working on it
in our own backyards. I can't say it better than he does there:

"Can we hope for a bit of good news? Here it is: local food. Decentralized
food. Sustainable, nurturing food. Such food is available first and foremost
in your own backyard. If you are not growing a garden now—even if only a
patio tub with lettuces, herbs, and scallions—please do so. Plant that seed,
reconnect with the miracle of life, the promise of each new season, the
fecundity and bounty of the earth. This is our natural heritage, our precious
birthright—let us not trade it for the mess of pottage on offer in the
supermarkets and fast food joints."

How We Eat…
http://themodernhomestead.us/article/How+We+Eat.+.+..html

I presented the following as a talk at the Fauquier Live Energy Festival,
September 29, 2007 in Warrenton, Virginia. ~Harvey

We live in an age of crisis unparalleled in our history. Any one of our
numerous crises would alone pose tremendous danger, but they are rapidly
converging to create interlocking and cascading effects. We practice an
enormously destructive agriculture that is ruining some of the best soils in
the world. Our way of life is polluting and squandering the water we drink,
and accelerating the loss of natural habitat and wild species. The greenhouse
gases we spew into the atmosphere have brought on changes in the climate that
are no longer a future threat, but a terrible, unpredictable reality. These
immense and rapid changes are related more than anything to our extravagant,
wasteful use of fossil energies; and until our use of energy changes in
fundamental ways, there will be no significant change of direction.

It's wonderful to be here today, inspired to believe there is yet hope that
we can make the profound changes that are required, and to commit ourselves
to being agents of that change. But I see two great obstacles as we strive to
make a meaningful difference.

The colossal magnitude of our problems would dwarf even the most ardent
efforts our government could make to resolve them—but as a matter of fact,
our government is doing precious little to remedy them, selling out time and
again to vested interests, blindly striving to protect “the economy” rather
than our children's future. Absent meaningful action by government, how can
we possibly believe that we as individuals can blunt the momentum of
destructive change in the living systems of the world?

Secondly, while we may have the most passionate commitment to do what is
right for our ailing planet, it is sadly true that good intentions and virtue
only get us so far—realistically, we are not likely to make day-to-day
choices “for the good of the planet” which do not intesect in a profound and
visceral way with our own most deeply felt needs.

Is there a point of intersection where choosing what will meet our own
deepest interests, and choosing what will benefit our world, are one and the
same? I believe there is, encapsulated in a statement by Wendell Berry: “How
we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used.” That
powerful statement points the finger of accusation, because eating in this
culture has become a great act of forgetting. Forgetting that good wholesome
food is the foundation of health, of community, of culture. Forgetting our
sacred duty to nurture and safeguard our land; and abrogating that
responsibility to a faceless, rapacious food system with its eye solely on
the bottom line, blind to its ecological injuries and its prodigal
squandering of energy resources.

But Wendell Berry's statement also holds out the hand of hope, the promise
that making informed and caring choices about how we eat, how we value our
food, what we demand for its growth and processing—will change “how we use
the world” in profound and revolutionary ways.

Let's think for a moment about our own deepest interests where food is
concerned. Politicians, bureaucrats, and corporate advertising assure us that
the American food supply is the safest in the world. If that is true, how is
it that contamination by E. coli in a single field in California results in
200 cases of serious illness, and several deaths, in 26 states of this
nation? How is it that we read weekly about food arriving from China by the
shipload, some of it contaminated enough to kill, as proved earlier this year
by the death from canned pet food of thousands of pets and hogs? How is it
that botulism contamination in a single industrial processing vat leads to
the emergency recall of hundreds of thousands of cans of meat products from
the supermarket shelves? Botulin is one of the most toxic substances on
earth—you could engage in biological warfare using botulin as your weapon.
Food safety?

What about food quality? Think of sitting at our mama's or grandmama's table,
eating meals prepared by loving hands from fresh, wholesome, natural foods.
At those meals, our very souls were nourished by the fundamental goodness of
sharing such food with those we love. Those who have abandoned that precious
heritage for hurried meals from supermarkets and fast food restaurants may
well retain at a deep level an aching void that no amount of empty calories
or glitzy pseudo-foods will ever fill.

But the question of food quality is foremost about the ability of our food to
keep our bodies in the glow of good health, and to support the sound and
vigorous growth of our children. If the food on offer to our citizens is of
highest quality, why are rates of heart disease and cancer and obesity
skyrocketing? Why are children suffering degenerative diseases once thought
to be the exclusive real estate of the very old?

While there are certainly factors, environmental pollution among them,
causing this decline in our health, none is more critical than the food we
are eating, and feeding to our children. Much of it is incapable of
supporting health—grown on depleted and demineralized soils, artificially
processed to the last degree, and laced with a witch's brew of chemical
additives and pesticide residues.

As for food security—have you filled your tank at the gas pump lately? The
price of gasoline has more than doubled in the past couple of years.
Globally, we are at or near the peak of production of petroleum and natural
gas. No sector of the economy is more critically dependent on cheap, abundant
fossil fuels than the industrial food system—from its machine-heavy,
chemically-intensive production, dependent on fertilizers made from natural
gas, and pesticides from petroleum—to its high-energy processing of foods—to
its distribution, which moves every bite of food an average of 1500 miles
from field to fork. So far the system has absorbed rising fuel costs without
disruption. At a certain point of exploding energy costs and shrinking global
supplies, however, it will surely break. Dependence on a complex,
centralized, fragile system to bring us the one product most vital to our
survival will then be revealed for what it is—astounding folly.

So much for the bad news. Can we hope for a bit of good news? Here it is:
local food. Decentralized food. Sustainable, nurturing food. Such food is
available first and foremost in your own backyard. If you are not growing a
garden now—even if only a patio tub with lettuces, herbs, and
scallions—please do so. Plant that seed, reconnect with the miracle of life,
the promise of each new season, the fecundity and bounty of the earth. This
is our natural heritage, our precious birthright—let us not trade it for the
mess of pottage on offer in the supermarkets and fast food joints.

And what you don't grow for yourself, buy locally from small farmers you know
and trust. Treasure their commitment to making their land and community a
better place, and to providing you and your family the best food on the
planet. Visit their farms—your eyes-on inspection of the source of your food
will be worth more than a thousand government bureaucrats to ensure its
safety. As for food security, it is far more likely to come from trusted
neighbors who have your family's personal well-being at heart—than from an
anonymous, complex industrial system subject to disruption by economic events
beyond anyone's control. Discover how your food purchases from small farmers
committed to a nurturing agriculture can help: to enrich soils rather than
degrading them; to clean and conserve water resources rather than polluting
and squandering them; to enhance natural habitat and protect species
diversity; to sequester atmospheric carbon in the soil, rather than adding to
it and accelerating climate change.

Your local sustainable farm is most of all a working model for the essential
reordering of our use of energy, in which the driving input is the ultimate
renewable energy—sunlight.

If how we eat determines how the world is used, we can help heal the world by
choosing food with a face. Food we intimately and personally know. Food we
can revere as a sacred gift.
-----------

©Unless otherwise noted, all material on this site, both text and photos, is
copyright by Harvey and Ellen Ussery, 2005-2009. Individuals may copy and
circulate it freely under the following conditions: This site
www.TheModernHomestead.US must be attributed as the source; any material
copied must include this copyright notice; and no charge may be made if you
pass copies on to others, other than the actual costs of copying, if any. No
material on this site may be published in any print or electronic media,
whether or not for profit, without written permission of Harvey or Ellen
Ussery.

DISCLAIMER: Information offered on this website is based on decades of
research and practical experience. However, we are not trained professionals
in any health, environmental, or other field. We therefore do not offer the
contents of this website as advice or recommendation for any specific
practice; nor will we be responsible for the consequences of the application
of any information or ideas presented on this site. ~Harvey and Ellen Ussery

  • [Livingontheland] How We Eat, Tradingpost, 10/30/2009